Social listening is the process of monitoring social media channels for mentions of your brand, products, competitors and categories. Learn how following Social Listening Best Practices can help power your digital marketing strategy.
How do leading brands incorporate social listening to create successful digital campaigns?
1. They measure objectively
To leverage the power of social listening, it is imperative to understand the business and marketing objectives of the company. This ensures that the relevant topics are being tracked and social listening objectives are aligned to those of the broader business.
2. They know their audience
Successful brands listen to understand audience perceptions of their products and brand:
- What is being said?
- Where are they saying it?
- Is the sentiment towards the brand positive, negative or neutral?
- Are campaigns having the desired impact?
Is their messaging resonating with the target audience?
3. They look to understand the broader landscape
Looking beyond their own brands to understand category and industry trends provides companies with:
- inspiration for content creation
- early detection of threats to the brand/business
- opportunities for growth
4. They have an ‘Always-On’ approach to brand tracking
Real-time monitoring provides an early warning system and helps companies manage crisis situations swiftly and decisively. Identifying detractor posts and responding quickly affords the maximum amount of time needed to implement contingency plans and ensures minimal damage to the brand. Successful brands don’t just listen during campaigns – they listen during the ‘quieter’ periods too.
5. They constantly benchmark against competitors
Social Listening helps brands learn what their competitors are doing and what people are saying about them online. This real-time intelligence allows companies to understand their own weaknesses, leverage competitor weaknesses and identify opportunities for growth.
6. They utilize data to inform business and marketing strategy
Social listening intelligence can be leveraged to achieve business and marketing objectives in the following ways:
- Tailored messaging, delivered to target audiences via their preferred channel
- Testing campaign effectiveness and adjusting campaigns accordingly to maximise performance.
- Understanding pain points can shape product development, ensuring a better customer experience
- Identify market entry opportunities
How can Circus Social help?
As leaders in the digital intelligence space, we empower brands with real-time insights through our social & news monitoring platform, 20/Twenty.
To find out more about Social Listening Best Practices, or book a demo click here